Friday, February 13, 2009

its hockey night!

This little place we call home has a completely different vibe when hockey is in town. We don't live far from the hockey arena and I'm sure when I drive home for lunch there will already be cars parked for the 7:37 pm game!

Locals leave work early on Friday if its a hockey night. Restaurants are full with fans by 4:30. Hotels are booked solid months in advance for hockey weekends. Everyone dresses up for a night on the town. No joke - part of my wardrobe is "hockey clothes" and those same clothes are worn to nice dinners and special events!!

The arena is gorgeous. I mean no expense was spared with marble floors throughout and leather seats even in the student section (and seamless glass - yes I know this but that is another story!). Pro athletes describe the venue as the best in all hockey, pro or college. Its fun to watch people who have never been to a game just sit in awe taking it all in. :-)

Hockey is huge here. Its basically life. Its tradition.

Thankfully I learned to love hockey. At first I did not get it at all. It was a social event at a sporting event. I had just never experienced anything like it before! Now its fun to get dressed up and go to hockey! Its fun to watch the town and people come alive!

All in all, it makes for a great Friday!!!


This is from a couple years ago - before I was more serious about my hockey attire. :-)




There are hockey cheerleaders! Before the game and during intermissions they cheer from the ice on skates! Sometimes I watch the cheerleaders more than the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cut photo of you kids!
Jae Nelson