Wednesday, June 10, 2009

an old dork

“You know you are getting old when______” is a pretty common phase. Sometimes the blank is filled in by aches and pains, the joy of going to bed early, the decline of athletic ability and so on. This phase is also quite commonly heard around birthdays. Recently, I had a birthday so I heard this type of comment over and over.

Age (the actual number) or getting older does not bother me. Yeah I know, I say that now! But truthfully, age has never been that big of a deal to me.

I guess my phase would be, “You know you are becoming a dork when_____.” Turning into a full on dork bothers me! Forget my age.

Currently my phrase is, “You know you are becoming a dork when you get a sewing machine for your birthday and it feels like the best present ever.” For 2+ weeks I have been absolutely giddy about my new sewing machine.

Last night I hung out with a 65 year-old, Ellen, and it was a blast! Ellen gave me a sewing refresher course and a ton of hints from her many years of sewing that are invaluable.

I am also a full-fledged-dork because for 2+ weeks I have been scouring thrift stores, garage sales and the fabric store for great deals to stock up and decorate my sewing room. Though, my love of thrift stores and garage sales has been earning me dork points for awhile now! I don’t care. I love finding a treasure and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it when a guest compliments something in our house and Dylan has to cringe because he knows I scored it at a garage sale! Example: our wooden living room chair. :-)

So hopefully I will be updating the blog with my sewing creations someday soon! However, it is summer and as much as I love my new sewing machine I also want to enjoy the summer weather. I need to do as many outdoorsy, non-dorky things as possible so that when the cold weather returns I can sew and sew until my heart is content! :-)

PS – While writing this I tried to get to the root of my dork anxiety. Where does this stem from? It actually didn’t take me too long to figure it out… It is all Kyle’s fault. Once again! Repeating in my head is Kyle’s childhood voice telling me “You are such a dork.” Thankfully God gave me a forgiving nature or maybe just the skill to block bad memories! :-) Big brothers are the best!

1 comment:

The Lovealls said...

I must be a dork too b/c i just figured out how to use my sewing machine and i am pretty much obsessed too! Enjoy! :)